Criptic Critic Conscience and Known for it

Thursday, March 26, 2020

Boundary setting. I think tomorrow I'm going to sit down with the kids and talk about setting a protocol for when we lose our temper. - tw

    Boundary setting. I think tomorrow I'm going to sit down with the kids and talk about setting a protocol for when we lose our temper. To really own our own behavior and rise to the challenge of taking back control. To take a breath first of all. To take several. To disengage from the emotion, the fear in the anger and let the heat pass over you like a leaving cloud. It does. Watch it. Train and trust that it really does, experience it. Take yourself out of that narrative context, gently extract yourself with the agreement that this means I will return when I can discuss the issue calmly. Just general typical people stuff. Good skills around training. I rekon
    -tw



    Wells Tao
    one day in and we've evolved a system. For every time one of us, (me included), take a deep breath (for us that means raising your hands up above your head in time with your breath), and recover from getting too angry, one of us or yourself, is allowed a tick. Two ticks, if there was an apology and/or it's worked out for everyone in the end. The idea of course that at the end of the week, or weeks, or what have you, a certain amount of ticks will mean some sort of treat. No idea what the treat will be, lego has been mentioned, but this will also be the subject of great week long negotiation and debate!
    2
  • Steve Austin How about a hug coupon to be used at the time of the recipients choosing or a foot massage. I don't think kids need more stuff. Or the grand prize a trip to the hydroslide one day ...
    • Wells Tao yeah of course. hugs are more on tap. It's still evolving what the 'prize' will be. I enjoy the discussion with them about it.
  • Wells Tao I'd say that this is a notable quality to my parenting, is that everything is up for debate. I've found I get a lot more co-operation this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment