Criptic Critic Conscience and Known for it

Friday, March 21, 2014

I was pushed out of pākehā culture when I had a child. - Te Reo Pakeha - Laura Wells


Friday, 21 March 2014


I was pushed out of pākehā culture when I had a child.

This was because the majority around me disliked me and I could not find anyone outside my own home who did. When I say 'dislike', I mean that I got the impression that they would rather I wasn't in the room let alone attempting to converse with them. I guess that had a lot to do with the fact that I would have rather not have been in the room let alone converse with them.

Pushed out of pākehā culture I found myself with endless options. Here I was and I could choose any direction. I realised at this point that it was blindingly obvious.

Here I am living in what I was raised to believe was NEW Zealand - as in the new form of Zealand - when in actuality I was standing in TE WAI POUNAMU otherwise known as TE WAKA A
MĀUI. I also realised that I didn't understand nor did I even speak the language of my own country. Instead I was speaking a language that was developed in England, a place far too far away for me to care.

Since I have been drenched in this culture my whole life, it was hard to see outside of this veil of propaganda.







LINK

No comments:

Post a Comment